Friday, August 6, 2010

Isn't it Great, Spencer is 8

Turning 8 is special and we are all very excited to celebrate Spencer's day. Faith made this picture for him. The fishes under the boat are little number 8's. The others drew pictures on paper, which at first I thought was more sensible because they would last longer. I am not sure he has any of those now, but we have this picture of her picture and so it can last forever.

I was busy making his cake while he read in the living room. Last year he helped me, but this year he wanted it to be a surprise. Suddenly the kids start trailing in and making comments. They had NO IDEA what it was, but a frog, owl, snake, leprochaun and other guesses came out of their mouths. Spencer was really sad because he didn't want to know and now he knew it was green. But somehow the kids still didn't know what it was. I was floored because I thought it was turning out so nice. I hurried and invited him in before someone would make the right guess. This was his first reaction

and here is his second. He REALLY liked it and knew what it was immediately.

Can you tell it is a fire breathing dragon???

Spencer we love you! I am glad that you had a Happy Birthday! I will do another post about you and your special day. We are thankful to have you in our family.

4 comments:

  1. best most tasty dragon I have even eaten. Spencer I sure love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss your blog all this time? I'm so glad that you mentioned it! That has to be one of the most amazing cakes I have ever seen. I love the texture. How did you do the scales? Love you and miss you...Glad that we can chat here and there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog has been in hiding. I took a 14 month break, but I just changed the name, look and made 18 posts to try to catch up. I am only on May, but at least we are in 2010. I was going to invite you to see it this week.

    Thanks for the compliment on the cake. I love how it turned out. The kids actually figured it out towards the end, but I told them to SHHHH. The scales were made with the top of a medicine measuring cup. You hold it at an angle and then roll it so it makes part of the circle. Oh and wet the measuring cup lightly with water every few circles so it doesn't pull the frosting up. It can be tricky to not overlap, but if you do, use a small dab of water to smooth the frosting. Fun, huh. And the flames were inspired by Seminary Council when Ruth & I made a fire out of cellophane, this is fruit leather though, a little easier to digest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!! So glad to be able to add a blog to my reading list... and a fun one, at that!! Love the cake too. You are pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete